“After nourishment, shelter and companionship, stories are the thing we need most in the world.”
“Filmmaking is athletic, not aesthetic.”
“Being a successful entrepreneur requires you to devote every waking moment learning to out-compete other people.”
Ching Ho, on his answer at Quora
“We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.”
“What doesn’t kill you make you stronger.”
Kelly Clarkson/Friedrich Nietzsche
“You can’t build a reputation on what you are going to do.”
“Ideologies separate us. Dreams and anguish bring us together.”
Eugene Ionesco, Romanian playwright
“Love = Passion + ∞”
“Success is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm.”
”Doctors don’t heal, they diagnose – we heal.”
“There are no ugly women, only lazy ones.”
“Im lucky my ears are not dicks, because if they were I would have one hell of a mess to clean up.”
top comment at ‘Animal As Leader’ youtube song clip, ‘Soraya’. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hpeeuIGo6M
“Pretending you know what you’re doing is almost the same as knowing what you are doing, so just accept that you know what you’re doing even if you don’t and do it.”
The Cult of Done Manifesto #4, Bre Pettis
“The better you write, the higher you go in Ogilvy & Mather. People who think well, write well.
Woolly minded people write woolly memos, woolly letters and woolly speeches.
Good writing is not a natural gift. You have to learn to write well. Here are 10 hints:
1. Read the Roman-Raphaelson book on writing. Read it three times.
2. Write the way you talk. Naturally.
3. Use short words, short sentences and short paragraphs.
4. Never use jargon words like reconceptualize, demassification, attitudinally, judgmentally. They are hallmarks of a pretentious ass.
5. Never write more than two pages on any subject.
6. Check your quotations.
7. Never send a letter or a memo on the day you write it. Read it aloud the next morning — and then edit it.
8. If it is something important, get a colleague to improve it.
9. Before you send your letter or your memo, make sure it is crystal clear what you want the recipient to do.
10. If you want ACTION, don’t write. Go and tell the guy what you want.”
Ogilvy internal memo to all agency employees